Samourai Wallet Review
Samourai is a non-custodial open-source wallet for Android. It is intended to be used to send, receive and store bitcoin. For anonymity, the wallet supports Tor and VPN, as well as CoinJoin.
Samourai is an open-source wallet and non-custodial bitcoin wallet available on Android. You can use it to receive, send and store bitcoin. The wallet has Tor and VPN support, CoinJoin, and it also provides options for hardware wallet integration and encrypted cold storage.
Samourai’s primary goal is to keep your transactions private, your identity hidden, and your assets safe.
We are privacy activists who have dedicated our lives to creating the software that Silicon Valley will never build, the regulators will never allow, and the VC’s will never invest in. We build the software that Bitcoin deserves. — Samourai team
How to Use Samourai Wallet
To start using Samourai Wallet, download it from Google Play Store, F-Droid, or Android APK. To proceed, you have two options: either enable Tor or connect to your Dojo server. However, if you prefer, you can skip this step and move on to creating a passphrase for added security. After this, the app will prompt you to create a PIN code, which will serve as your wallet’s unlocking mechanism. Once you’ve completed that step, you’ll need to generate a 12-word seed phrase made up of random words. It’s important to store this phrase in a secure location. By combining this seed phrase with your passphrase, you can recover your wallet and balance in any compatible wallet software. It’s worth noting that your passphrase will not be displayed again after this stage, but you can view your seed phrase in the Settings menu.
To unlock the advanced privacy features in your wallet, you need to claim your PayNym Bot. Once you’ve done this, you’ll be able to share and reuse your address without revealing any of your other transactions or balances.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Samourai Wallet
Samourai wallet offers the following beneficial features:
- Samourai Whirlpool. It is a free and open-source CoinJoin platform. Its goal is to improve privacy when performing bitcoin transactions. You can send bitcoins without leaking information about your past transactions. You pay a one-time, flat fee for anonymity and use this feature unlimitedly. Furthermore, you can use Whirpool via mobile or pair Samourai wallet to the Whirpool desktop application.
- SegWit support. SegWit (short for Segregated Witness) is a proposed upgrade to the bitcoin protocol invented to help reduce fees and speed up bitcoin transactions.
- Offline mode. You don’t need a network connection to start using bitcoin. With Samourai, you can broadcast transactions to the bitcoin network by Samourai Sentinel (watch only bitcoin wallet) or mesh network.
- Smart miner fees. Use miner fee estimation to set a priority level for your transaction, or even increase the miner fee of a transaction even after you have sent it.
- Stealth mode. This feature removes Samourai icon from your Android device’s launcher and home screen and replace it with other app such as calculator and Notepad.
- Anonymity. You can anonymize your IP using VPN or TOR (The Onion Router).
- Bitcoin node. You can connect your own full bitcoin node with a single QR scan.
- Live chat and email support. In case you lost access to your wallet or faced other issues, you can contact support via live chat or email.
Samourai Sentinel is a free and open source bitcoin watch-only wallet. It’s an online companion for your offline and cold storage bitcoin wallets. It can track transactions and balances on hardware wallets, including Trezor and Ledger wallets.
- No support for iOS devices. There’s no Samourai wallet for iPhone, it is only available on Android devices.
- No multisignature. This technology is used to secure bitcoin transactions. It requires multiple signatures before the transaction is broadcasted to the blockchain. Samourai wallet does not provide this feature.
- Complicated for beginners. The app is created for users with a lot of experience, so most of its advanced features are highly complicated for beginners.
- No Lightning support. Samourai wallet does not support Lightning Network transactions, which are faster and cheaper.
- Samourai is a hot wallet. Therefore, it can be exposed to cyberattacks and hacking due to its constant connection to the internet.
Samourai Wallet Fees
Samourai Wallet gives you different options for transaction fees based on how fast you want your bitcoin transactions to be confirmed. On the Send screen, you will see a preview of your estimated fee. You can adjust the fee for each transaction using a slider. There are three priority levels to choose from. What makes Samourai special is that it allows you to increase the fee for transactions even after you’ve already sent them, using methods like Replace-by-fee or Child pays for parent.
Is Samourai Wallet Safe?
Samourai Wallet is designed with privacy and security in mind and includes features such as coinjoin, seedphrase, and support for Tor. It also allows you to create a hidden wallet and provides tools to help you maintain your privacy when conducting transactions. It’s worth noting that Samourai Wallet has been around since 2015 and, to date, there have been no reported security breaches. This is a positive indicator of the wallet’s reliability and security features.
In addition to its privacy and security features, Samourai Wallet is also a non-custodial wallet, meaning that you have full control over your private keys and funds. Furthermore, Samourai Wallet is an open-source project, meaning that its source code is publicly available for review and scrutiny by anyone interested.
Samourai Wallet Alternatives
|Replace by fee (RBF)|
|Operating System (OS)|
|Hardware Wallet Integration|