Alby: Bitcoin Lightning Browser App
Alby is a web and browser-based open source Bitcoin Lightning app. The program allows you to obtain a simple Lightning address to pay or receive bitcoin over the Lightning Network via your browser.
Alby is an open source Bitcoin Lightning program for the web and your browser that allows you to buy bitcoin, receive, tip, and pay in bitcoin via the Lightning Network. The program allows you to obtain a Lightning address, which is similar to an email address (e.g., [email protected]), but for bitcoin, and is simple to share and remember. You can also use the app to log in to websites that support Lightning logins.
Alby brings Bitcoin payments to the web with in-browser payments and identity, all with your own wallet.
How to use Alby
You need to sign up with your email. Once your account is set up, create your Lightning address by choosing a name that will be followed by @getalby.com. Choose your address carefully because you won’t be to change it. You will be able to use your address to receive bitcoin and your account to send bitcoin to others. In addition, you can use the Alby Browser Extension to conduct transactions on the web or connect your Alby account to a mobile app. To install the browser, go to Alby website and click on ‘Install Alby’ and use your Alby email and password. At the moment, the browser extension is available on Firefox and Chrome.
Your lightning address comes with a public Alby page that makes it super easy to share and allows others to send you bitcoin.
- Send in one click. Lightning transactions happen in your browser. No alt+tab or QR-code scanning needed.
- Connect existing wallet. Alby is a custodial wallet, however, it lets you connect your existing Bitcoin Lightning wallet.
- Receive payments. The app allows you to receive bitcoin payments on your website, Twitter, YouTube and BitcoinTV.
- Buy bitcoin. Alby has a built-in exchange in partnership with MooonPay.
- No paywalls. You can define individual budgets for websites to enable seamless payment streams without looking for your payment details.
- Privacy. Use Alby to conveniently login into websites that offer logins with Lightning and access applications on top of the Bitcoin Lightning Network. No need to remember a username or password.
- Free and open source. Alby’s code is open and can be audited by anyone.
- No tracking software. No stats, analytics, or other trackers come with the extension.
- Podcasting 2.0 (Value4Value). A real-time streaming payments system that allows podcast listeners to make bitcoin micropayments directly to podcasters’ Alby wallets as they listen.
Alby creates a new experience to consume and reward content or services online.
|Non-custodial wallet (self-custody)|
Easy to use, can install into Firefox/Edge/Google chrome/Brave though there is no mobile app. Smooth and so far have no problem using the extension. Besides sending funds I can browse other sites. Great for new user and can be a supplement for Wallet of Satoshi.
steve Folwer –
Alby is one of the best open source bitcoin lightning app.I love the simplicity of the app especially the web extension makes transaction so easy!
Fabian Alex –
My experience with Alby has been awesome! The swiftness of the platform is key and it’s what makes it superb. The integration of its extension is also a great feature that makes it easy to use. It’s my go-to platform for stacking sats! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to invest in Bitcoin.
I recently discovered the Alby open-source lightning app and have been thoroughly impressed with my experience using it. It is incredibly user-friendly and makes sending and receiving sats a breeze. The app’s interface is intuitive and easy to navigate, making it my favorite lightning wallet so far. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a simple and efficient way to manage their Bitcoin transactions.